The main difference between our technologies and other available implant delivery systems is the ability to achieve zero order release pharmacokinetics (i.e., maintain a constant rate of drug output over time) through passive (non-mechanical) diffusion.
One example of an active delivery implant system is the Duros® technology which uses an osmotic pump (moving piston) to enable a sustained drug release. Compared to active (mechanical) systems Delpor’s technologies offer several benefits including:
- Reduced complexity in both manufacturing and operation
- Enhanced formulation flexibility
- Ability to deliver drugs that are not soluble (i.e., use the drug in powder form
not just in solution or suspension)
- Enhanced capacity due to hollow internal structure
- Lower cost of manufacturing
The ability to deliver sustained zero order release through passive (non-mechanical) diffusion overcomes several challenges and creates the potential for several promising products.